[Twisted-Python] Moving iocpsupport to an external package? Implications on Windows?

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Feb 10 15:56:55 MST 2021

> On Feb 10, 2021, at 6:45 AM, Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc at crodrigues.org> wrote:
>

> On Wednesday, February 10, 2021, Glyph <glyph at twistedmatrix.com <mailto:glyph at twistedmatrix.com>> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 10, 2021, at 12:40 AM, Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc at crodrigues.org <mailto:rodrigc at crodrigues.org>> wrote:
>>
>> How will this patch change for people installing Twisted on Windows?
>>
>> Twisted is still used by a lot of users on Windows, and the IOCP Reactor is
>> still used on this platform.
>
> This line is what does the trick:
>
> https://github.com/twisted/twisted/pull/1446/files#diff-fa602a8a75dc9dcc92261bac5f533c2a85e34fcceaff63b3a3a81d9acde2fc52R34 <https://github.com/twisted/twisted/pull/1446/files#diff-fa602a8a75dc9dcc92261bac5f533c2a85e34fcceaff63b3a3a81d9acde2fc52R34>
>
> Basically, on Windows, you'll automatically get the `twisted-iocpsupport` module as a hard dependency.  On other platforms, you won't.  Unless you're using a truly ancient `pip` (which is less likely on Windows, where people tend to install things themselves rather than getting them from a calcified platfom) this will just work ✨ magically
>

>  Ok, thanks for the clarification.  That is worth calling out in the release announcement, since that is a major change for Windows users.

I don't disagree that it's worth calling out, but I might quibble on "major" change - it's a small build-configuration change that mostly affects Twisted contributors (in a positive way), and those with heavily locked-down build environments.  From the perspective of a Twisted user on Windows who wants to make use of the IOCP reactor and is installing with a regular `pip install`, nothing changes except a new line in `pip freeze`.

Yep! You can see in the README.rst on the repo, and also on its PyPI page: https://pypi.org/project/twisted-iocpsupport/ <https://pypi.org/project/twisted-iocpsupport/>

> - PR can only be merged after review approval from a reviewer with write access to the https://github.com/twisted/twisted-iocpsupport <https://github.com/twisted/twisted-iocpsupport> repository.
> etc.?

The full @twisted/twisted-contributors team has write access to this repo so it's all set for any Twisted reviewer who has the time and inclination.

I just noticed that PyPI just had me and graingert, though.  Sadly, PyPI doesn't have teams, so I synced up the management permissions on the PyPI project to match Twisted.  (The current list of uploaders isn't particularly principled or up to date, but better to have one list than two.  And I don't want a bus-factor of 1...)

-g