[Twisted-Python] Moving iocpsupport to an external package? Implications on Windows?

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Feb 10 01:47:27 MST 2021

> On Feb 10, 2021, at 12:40 AM, Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc at crodrigues.org> wrote:
>
> How will this patch change for people installing Twisted on Windows?
>
> Twisted is still used by a lot of users on Windows, and the IOCP Reactor is
> still used on this platform.

This line is what does the trick:

https://github.com/twisted/twisted/pull/1446/files#diff-fa602a8a75dc9dcc92261bac5f533c2a85e34fcceaff63b3a3a81d9acde2fc52R34 <https://github.com/twisted/twisted/pull/1446/files#diff-fa602a8a75dc9dcc92261bac5f533c2a85e34fcceaff63b3a3a81d9acde2fc52R34>

Basically, on Windows, you'll automatically get the `twisted-iocpsupport` module as a hard dependency.  On other platforms, you won't.  Unless you're using a truly ancient `pip` (which is less likely on Windows, where people tend to install things themselves rather than getting them from a calcified platfom) this will just work ✨ magically ✨.

(Personally I think that in a future change, we should seriously consider moving this to an extra, since for some Windows users the simplicity of a pure-python install outweighs the performance improvements of a binary dependency.  And it should be possible to install Twisted without this accelerator.  But that is a very minor point compared to the benefits of not having to drag platform-variant wheels around for all other platforms!)

-g