[Twisted-Python] Codecov.io security incident

Kyle Altendorf sda at fstab.net
Fri Apr 16 18:10:22 MDT 2021

On 2021-04-16 14:26, Adi Roiban wrote:

> I don't know how we can prevent these types of security issues.
> We are a public project with limited resources and are always exposed
> when
> we are pulling dependencies from codecov or pypy that we don't fully
> control.
>
> I guess that what we can do is stop using the codecov.io bash uploaded
> and
> switch back to python uploader.

What will this do now?  Do you consider the bash uploader a greater
future risk than any other thing that codecov, or anyone else, creates?

> Any other ideas ?

In a single CI system (rather than using two) we could do the project
coverage absolute limit check and patch coverage check (diff-cover)
in-build.  Maybe there's even a place we could publish the coverage html
output?

That said, I've never been much for avoiding services and the proposal
for not using a codecov package involves adding another package so...

And like you said Adi, it seems pretty implausible to audit all code we
use in CI.  So, I don't know how there's a solution.  But, I'm well
aware that I'm not a security person.

Cheers,
-kyle