[Twisted-Python] GitHub Actions parallelism limit increase

Kyle Altendorf sda at fstab.net
Tue Apr 6 12:47:57 MDT 2021

On 2021-03-30 17:14, Kyle Altendorf wrote:
> On 2021-03-30 15:24, Glyph wrote:
>>> On Mar 30, 2021, at 7:57 AM, Kyle Altendorf <sda at fstab.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Has anyone contacted GitHub to see if they would be willing to
>>> increase the parallelism limit in Actions?  My understanding is that
>>> we maintain two CI systems (GitHub Actions and Azure Pipelines) for
>>> the sake of more parallelism.  While perhaps worthwhile, this doesn't
>>> seem fun.  Maybe GitHub would be willing to help out.
>>
>> Not as far as I know. Do you want to give it a shot?
>
> That was the plan.  Submitted.  I'll let you all know.

 From GitHub:
> Hi Kyle,
>
> Thanks for taking the time to write in.
>
> You would need to upgrade the twisted organization account to
> Enterprise
> Cloud for a higher concurrent jobs limit. However, the discount on the
> twisted organization account is only for GitHub Team, so an upgrade
> would require payment.
>
> https://docs.github.com/en/actions/reference/usage-limits-billing-and-administration#usage-limits
>
> All the best,
> Jimmy

https://docs.github.com/en/github/getting-started-with-github/githubs-products#github-enterprise
https://docs.github.com/en/github/getting-started-with-github/githubs-products#github-team

So it seems we already have 60x parallelism and a discount ($4/month per
user if we have Teams for free) and at least a few of us didn't realize
it?  Admittedly macOS remains at 5x until you get to the enterprise
level.

So, case closed on that I suppose.  I'm not sure where the rest of the
discussion about just-GitHub-for-CI stands, but that can be separated
from thread.

Cheers,
-kyle