[Twisted-Python] GitHub Actions parallelism limit increase

Adi Roiban adi at roiban.ro
Thu Apr 1 03:43:25 MDT 2021

On Tue, 30 Mar 2021 at 15:57, Kyle Altendorf <sda at fstab.net> wrote:

> Hi All,

SNIP

> My understanding is that we maintain
> two CI systems (GitHub Actions and Azure Pipelines) for the sake of more
> parallelism.

SNIP

> -kyle

We also have 2 CI systems because migrating the Windows and macOS jobs from
Azure Pipeline to GHA takes time.

As an experiment I have enabled one Windows job on GitHub and the tests
failed... so that needs extra work.

To check what happened I got Windows 2019 server on a local VM and tried to
execute `trial twisted` ...tests are failing.

So for now, I am also not in a hurry to remove Azure Pipelines as it just
works. Fixing is not hard but it takes time.

For example some Windows tests are skipped only on Azure... and they fail
both on Azure and local dev...

I guess that a macOS migration is easier as macOS is similar to Linux, and
on macOS we only run the default reactor, which I think is the select
reactor.

----------------

But in preparation for a future GitHub to Azure migration, I think that we
can have a single Windows and a single macOS job on GitHub Actions, while
keeping Azure VMs.

In this way we can have them running for a while in trunk and see if there
are any surprises .
I guess that with GitHub being a MS company  GitHub Actions and Azure
Pipelines might use the exact same VM images and VM compute nodes.

Cheers

--
Adi Roiban