[Twisted-Python] Request for new Twisted release?

Craig Rodrigues rodrigc at crodrigues.org
Tue Sep 22 16:42:29 MDT 2020

Amber,

Can we have a new Twisted release within the next two months, say in
Nov./Dec. timeframe, or
sooner if you'd like?

In Twisted trunk, there are a lot of things that would be good to have in a
new release.

Here are some of the high order items:

*Python 3 Fixes*

   - twist dns --pyzone now works on Python 3   (I had a project 6 months
   ago where I would have liked to have this in a release)
   - twisted.web.twcgi now works on Python 3

*Python 3.8 Fixes*

   - all tests pass on all platforms on Python 3.8, including asyncio tests
   on Windows

*Python 3.9 Fixes*

   - all tests pass on Python 3.9.0rc2 (at least on Mac and Linux), (thanks
   to Michał Górny)

*Python 2.7*

   - Python 2.7 support has been dropped in trunk

*Black*

   - black code formatter has been integrated into the CI for Twisted, and
   all Twisted code is now formatted with Black (thanks to Tom Most)

*Mypy*

   - mypy is now run as part of Twisted CI and checks the code for every
   PR.  Type annotations compatible with Python 3.5+ are slowly being added to
   the codebase.

There are a lot of other small fixes and enhancements that people have
contributed since the last Twisted release.

I would like this new release to be the last release supporting Python 3.5,
so that Python 3.5 support can be removed in trunk, and PEP-526 style
variable annotations can be added in trunk.

Thanks for your consideration.

--
Craig