[Twisted-Python] Mailgun Email Service Replacement Proposal

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Sat Oct 3 22:46:19 MDT 2020

> On Oct 2, 2020, at 11:35 PM, Glyph <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
>
> Right now, I'm dealing with a minor issue where our "plan" (which, again, Mailgun has generously given us for free) no longer includes the ability to process incoming email... so, for example, this email is only reaching you because the pre-existing inbound routes are grandfathered in, and continue to work (whew!); however, I can no longer add new @twistedmatrix.com email addresses nor change the configuration of existing ones.
>
> Now, for this particular issue I've opened a ticket with Mailgun and hopefully they'll be kind enough to extend their support to us yet again, but in the longer term, it feels like we might want to go back to hosting our own thing; ideally a thing that allows us to dogfood Twisted and maybe learn interesting things about our SMTP support.

Update: the severity on this issue is back down to "low", as Mailgun's excellent support has re-enabled our inbound email processing for the forseeable future.  Thanks Mailgun!

Even so, though, I think it would be helpful to build a thing like what I described to dogfood our email code in a more realistic environment once again.

-g