[Twisted-Python] Request for new Twisted release?

Adi Roiban adi at roiban.ro
Sat Oct 3 19:03:20 MDT 2020

On Sun, 4 Oct 2020 at 01:14, Glyph <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:

> On Oct 3, 2020, at 4:15 PM, Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc at crodrigues.org>
> wrote:
>

> On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 10:11 AM Glyph <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
>

>> On Sep 22, 2020, at 3:42 PM, Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc at crodrigues.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Amber,
>>
>> Can we have a new Twisted release within the next two months, say in
>> Nov./Dec. timeframe, or
>> sooner if you'd like?
>>

>> Given that Amber hasn't been super responsive lately, and that I firmly
>> believe it should be possible to take breaks from open source (particularly
>> amidst the, you know, global collapse of civilization and stuff), I will
>> take the opportunity point out yet again that
>> http://twisted.readthedocs.org/en/latest/core/development/policy/release-process.html documents
>> the release process and any sufficiently-motivated volunteer (with at least
>> a *bit* of history & trust within the community) can step forward and
>> receive all the permissions necessary to do all of these steps.
>>
>> I will personally volunteer to fill in the permissions gaps for any
>> interested parties, although I don't have much bandwidth for the release
>> itself.
>>
>> Amber, if you want to do it, go ahead and get started, I'm just saying we
>> don't need to put this on your shoulders :).
>>

> I haven't heard any response from Amber, so I assume that Amber is busy
> (and I hope is OK during all the pandemic).
>

> I have heard from Amber occasionally and I believe she's healthy and safe,
> but if she wants to share more than that it's her own business :).  (Are
> *any* of us really "OK"?)
>
> If it is OK with Glyph and Amber, I can focus on pushing out the next
> Twisted release, and hopefully get help from Adi.
>

> Absolutely OK with me.  More than OK.  Please do this!  I can't wait until
> we have the level of automation you've been working on for *anybody* to
> cut the release.  I take it this means you'll officially be the release
> manager for 20.10.0?
>
> Let me know if you need any more permission bits to make progress.
>
> I'm working now with Adi to automate more of the release actions via
> GitHub Actions, and have gotten pretty far,
> such as being able to build wheels of Twisted on GitHub Actions for Linux,
> MacOS, and Windows.
>

> This is fantastic news!  I really appreciate all the effort you're putting
> in to simplify and streamline the CI situation.

I have a proof of concept PR - https://github.com/twisted/twisted/pull/1422

Read the Docs version of Twisted containing the full documentation -
narrative + API.

You can check it here - https://twisted--1422.org.readthedocs.build/en/1422/

With API link in the main page and at
https://twisted--1422.org.readthedocs.build/en/1422/api/index.html

-------

I would say that for the first weeks after the release, we can have the
documentation only on Read The Docs with the read the docs theme...
but it can be confusing if we don't also update
https://twistedmatrix.com/documents/current/ docs.

Later we can enable the Twisted own theme.. if we want.

I think that many seach indexes are using
https://twistedmatrix.com/documents/current/api/twisted.html

So after the release we should decide if we  should mirror the docs from
Read The docs to the Twisted own VM... or create a reverse proxy, or create
a redirection.

All this Read the Docs hosting is implemented as it doesn't require any
extra permissions and is already integrated with the VCS.

We can automatically build the docs via GitHub actions, but the problem is
how we get them to the Twisted main server.
Allowing GitHub actions to push random stuff can be a security issue... and
implementing a restrictive SFTP server ono the Twisted main server requires
extra work.

--
Adi Roiban