[Twisted-Python] Request for new Twisted release?

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Sat Oct 3 18:14:09 MDT 2020

> On Oct 3, 2020, at 4:15 PM, Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc at crodrigues.org> wrote:
>

> On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 10:11 AM Glyph <glyph at twistedmatrix.com <mailto:glyph at twistedmatrix.com>> wrote:
>

>> On Sep 22, 2020, at 3:42 PM, Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc at crodrigues.org <mailto:rodrigc at crodrigues.org>> wrote:
>>
>> Amber,
>>
>> Can we have a new Twisted release within the next two months, say in Nov./Dec. timeframe, or
>> sooner if you'd like?
>
> Given that Amber hasn't been super responsive lately, and that I firmly believe it should be possible to take breaks from open source (particularly amidst the, you know, global collapse of civilization and stuff), I will take the opportunity point out yet again that http://twisted.readthedocs.org/en/latest/core/development/policy/release-process.html <http://twisted.readthedocs.org/en/latest/core/development/policy/release-process.html> documents the release process and any sufficiently-motivated volunteer (with at least a bit of history & trust within the community) can step forward and receive all the permissions necessary to do all of these steps.
>
> I will personally volunteer to fill in the permissions gaps for any interested parties, although I don't have much bandwidth for the release itself.
>
> Amber, if you want to do it, go ahead and get started, I'm just saying we don't need to put this on your shoulders :).
>

> I haven't heard any response from Amber, so I assume that Amber is busy (and I hope is OK during all the pandemic).

I have heard from Amber occasionally and I believe she's healthy and safe, but if she wants to share more than that it's her own business :).  (Are any of us really "OK"?)

> If it is OK with Glyph and Amber, I can focus on pushing out the next Twisted release, and hopefully get help from Adi.

Absolutely OK with me.  More than OK.  Please do this!  I can't wait until we have the level of automation you've been working on for anybody to cut the release.  I take it this means you'll officially be the release manager for 20.10.0?

Let me know if you need any more permission bits to make progress.

> I'm working now with Adi to automate more of the release actions via GitHub Actions, and have gotten pretty far,
> such as being able to build wheels of Twisted on GitHub Actions for Linux, MacOS, and Windows.

This is fantastic news!  I really appreciate all the effort you're putting in to simplify and streamline the CI situation.

-g