[Twisted-Python] unified filesystem API (was: SMB server component for twisted)

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Tue May 19 12:33:16 MDT 2020

> On May 19, 2020, at 5:40 AM, Jean-Paul Calderone <exarkun at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
>
> Is anyone going to mention twisted.vfs?

You, apparently? :)

If anyone is curious about this code, `git revert 2059b5313ec236e8c3f77da4bd773ab98299ca1b` to have a look at it.

twisted.vfs was an attempt to do something like this, but it also suffered from the split-release infrastructure; it wasn't released so it didn't get user feedback, its interfaces were odd in several ways, it was very specific to POSIX filesystems, had some ambiguity around whether it wanted to be operating in terms of strings or objects, and generally didn't provide much value.

If we want to bring this concept back (as https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/4934 <https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/4934> alludes to by mentioning "twisted.path") it would benefit from lots of discussion and a concerted effort to integrate into the existing HTTP/SFTP/FTP code, so we actually create an interface that makes it easy for applications to create virtual filesystems accessible in multiple ways, with non-filesystem backends, rather than just wrapping up our file I/O code in a translation layer between... our versions of POSIX constants and the 'os' module's version of those same constants.

Nevertheless 'vfs' may be of archaeological interest for someone embarking on such a project; it's not all bad ideas, it just had some problems :).

-g