[Twisted-Python] unified filesystem API

Chris Withers chris at withers.org
Sat May 16 00:30:43 MDT 2020

On 16/05/2020 06:55, Glyph wrote:
> This does point out one of my secret hopes for SMB: that a file server's maintainers will care enough about file throughput that we'll finally get a centralized, official way of doing async file I/O that we can share with SFTP, FTP, and HTTP :).

I got excited by the title, but this all seems to be able giving
non-filesystems a file-system like API.

If I've missed something, please let me know, but I couldn't find an
async interface for writing to actual file systems. It feels like
Twisted has just punted on them as "fast enough" to not need async
interfaces, but that can really not be the case for networked
filesystems (NFS, GPFS, etc) where the blocking time for reading or
writing can be seconds (or minutes if it's having a bad day!).

What's the Twisted solution for these kinds of things? Defer all file IO
into a thread?

Chris