[Twisted-Python] unified filesystem API (was: SMB server component for twisted)

Ian Haywood ian at haywood.id.au
Fri May 15 19:14:57 MDT 2020

On 16/05/2020 10:55 am, Ian Haywood wrote:

> On 15/05/2020 10:52 am, Glyph wrote:
>> y 14, 2020, at 5:23 PM, Wilfredo Sánchez Vega <wsanchez at wsanche
>> <mailto:wsanchez at wsanchez.net>
>>>
>>>   I think it's great to get an SMB implementation in the Twisted
>>> org, but why would we even consider adding something like this to
>>> the main Twisted project?
>
> The advantage of twisted itself is cross-protocol abstractions such as
> cred. Of course you don't have to be in the repo to use them, but in
> practice developers need the discipline of a single project to
> maintain consistency, otherwise the human tendency to reinvent wheels
> is too strong

Apropos we have two APIs for exporting filesystems which are broadly
similar: SFTP in conch and FTP itself, SMB is about to be a third,
ideally we should have one or have them descend from one another. It's
slightly harder than it sounds as SMB is a file-access, as opposed to
file-transfer, protocol and supports some extra features such as locking.

Ian