[Twisted-Python] [RFC] Drop support for Python 3.5 sometime after May 2021?

Amber Brown (hawkowl) hawkowl at atleastfornow.net
Wed May 13 23:04:55 MDT 2020

I was considering proposing dropping it soon (I was thinking when we had
3.8 support, that 3.6/3.7/3.8 is a reasonable compatibility matrix).

Why I think this is probably fine:

- Debian Stable (buster) has 3.7. oldstable (stretch) has 3.5.3, but I
don't think we care about oldstable.
- Ubuntu 18.04 has Python 3.6. 16.04 has 3.5.1, which is a sucky, buggy
version that people shouldn't use anyway. Plus, getting a modern Python
on Ubuntu isn't shockingly hard (deadsnakes makes it trivial).
- CentOS and RHEL 6 and 7 have Software Collections which makes Python
3.6+ readily available.
- Windows has 3.8 available in the Store.
- MacOS doesn't ship a Python 3, but homebrew/python.org offer 3.8 easily.
- For everyone else, there's always Docker.

So, I guess if we have 3.8 support, the next release can announce the
dropping of 3.5, and then the release after that can be the final one
with support.

- Amber