[Twisted-Python] SMB server component for twisted

Adi Roiban adi at roiban.ro
Tue May 5 04:14:57 MDT 2020

Hi Ian

On Tue, 5 May 2020 at 05:17, Ian Haywood <ian at haywood.id.au> wrote:

> I have begun work on a SMB (Server Message Block; Windows filesharing)
> server protocol for twisted.
>
> Work so far is here: https://github.com/ihaywood3/twsmb
>
> I'm looking for any advice particularly around what I should be doing so
> this code is suitable for inclusion in twisted.
>
> Ian Haywood

Not sure if you want the repo included in the Twisted GitHub organization
or the twisted/twisted repo?

I think is best to have the SMB protocol implementation as a separate repo
to be able to release at any time,
but it can be added to Twisted organization.
This is similar to the LDAP ldaptor repo.

I don't think there are any rules for adding repos to the GitHub
organization.

I would say, as a minimal requirement are:
* end user documentation
* dev documentation / CONTRIBUTORS file
* automated tests / CI

I have a long term goal for SMB3 protocol implementation (client and server
side).

I am currently considering reusing https://github.com/jborean93/smbprotocol
The network communication is not ideal... but the design is not that bad.
That repo already has the Python code for parsing SMB messages.

Regards