[Twisted-Python] mypy integrated with CI for twisted

Maarten ter Huurne maarten at treewalker.org
Thu Jun 25 11:28:34 MDT 2020

On Thursday, 25 June 2020 14:18:04 CEST Adi Roiban wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Jun 2020 at 13:48, Jean-Paul Calderone
> <exarkun at twistedmatrix.com>
> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 12:44 AM Glyph <glyph at twistedmatrix.com>
wrote:
> >> On Jun 23, 2020, at 5:34 AM, Adi Roiban <adi at roiban.ro> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Craig,
> >>
> >> On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 at 00:36, Craig Rodrigues
> >> <rodrigc at crodrigues.org>>>

> >> Thanks for working on this.
> >>
> >> Looking forward to have a real green mypy build.
> >>
> >> A general question: Why Twisted used Azure Devops and not GitHub
> >> actions?
> >>

> >> Azure Pipelines gave us substantially more parallel capacity than
> >> is
> >> available via Github Actions, which means we can make build
> >> statuses appear much sooner.  Plus they support more platforms.
> >
> > Does Twisted have a special deal with Azure Pipelines?  Or is the
> > use of past-tense in this sentence intentional? :)  Or are the docs
> > for the respective platforms wrong/misleading?
> >

> > https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/devops/pipelines/licensing/co
> > ncurrent-jobs?view=azure-devops says free-tier public projects get
> > 10 parallel jobs.
> >

> > https://help.github.com/en/actions/getting-started-with-github-actio
> > ns/about-github-actions#usage-limits says free tier projects get 20
> > parallel jobs.
> >
> > (Of course this says nothing about the number of supported
> > platforms.)
> My understanding is that GitHub actions are free for public
> repositories.
>
> My suggestion is to use Azure Pipelines and Travis for the main trial
> tests and use Circle-CI or GitHub Actions for the other tests.
> GitHub Actions has a nice integration with a GitHub PR and you can
> check the results without having to navigate to a different page.
> And with GitHub actions you can add any new workflow without extra
> permission to  Azure Devop.
>
> With GitHub actions for free and available on LInux/Windows/macOS , I
> am not sure if keeping Circle-Ci makes sense.

One problem with the Circle CI runs for Twisted that I ran into recently
is that it won't let me view the results of runs unless I grant it a
bunch of permissions it doesn't need, including read/write access to all
my repositories.

Since that is an unnecessary security risk, I refused, but that does
mean that I can't view some of the CI results, which is a pain when one
of those checks fails.

Bye,
		Maarten