[Twisted-Python] Changing supported configurations regarding Unicode handling on Windows

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Mon Jun 22 01:06:22 MDT 2020

> On Jun 19, 2020, at 4:37 AM, Amber Brown (hawkowl) <hawkowl at atleastfornow.net> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> The past week or so, I noticed failures in the Azure Pipelines CI (see https://github.com/twisted/twisted/pull/1278 for the ticket with them, among others) that were due to Python + Windows falling apart on mgorny's name.

> Opinions?

This all sounds like a pretty good plan to me - please go ahead and do it ASAP!

My only concern here is that setting up Twisted services on Windows can already be a bit fiddly, and I would almost rather generate potential mojibake by default than fail to run in a way which would be even harder to debug than it already is.  However, even if this is a valid concern, let's not block on it, but figure out a way to fix it after the immediate issue where folks with non-ascii letters in their names can't submit PRs.

Thanks so much for investigating!

-g