[Twisted-Python] Running tests with monkeytype

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Mon Jun 22 00:58:57 MDT 2020

> On Jun 21, 2020, at 10:18 PM, Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc at crodrigues.org> wrote:
>

> On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 4:02 PM Tom Most <twm at freecog.net <mailto:twm at freecog.net>> wrote:
>
> Let's definitely move to type annotations, since they are much more likely to be correct due to validation by MyPy.
>
> To start, we'll need to revise the Twisted coding standard [1] to permit type annotations instead of @type lines in the docstring. I think that we should suggest, but not require, annotation syntax to start. I filed a ticket [2] for this.
>

> Revising the Twisted coding standard to permit (and even encourage) type annotations is a great idea.
> Using epydoc's @type tags in docstring was OK, but epydoc is not
> a tool that is universally used in the Python world.  At the time, using epydoc tags was the best that could be done.
> Type annotations are a first-level language feature, that is part of the
> core Python toolchain.  There seems to be growing support for type annotations from various tools, IDE's,
> Python libraries, and the core Python toolchain itself.

I'm 100% in favor of moving to type annotations exclusively and getting rid of @type from everywhere.

In fact this has been the plan since 2017:

https://github.com/twisted/pydoctor/issues/136 <https://github.com/twisted/pydoctor/issues/136>

Getting that issue resolved is the only blocker at this point :)

-g