[Twisted-Python] Upcoming Twisted Release

Adi Roiban adi at roiban.ro
Mon Dec 28 14:50:47 MST 2020

On Mon, 28 Dec 2020 at 18:17, Glyph <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:

> On Dec 28, 2020, at 3:38 AM, Jean-Paul Calderone <
> exarkun at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
>
> I guess there are no comments against removing a ticket from the
>> release-blocking list if the ticket is not active for 1 or 2 weeks.
>>

> Commenting against this was the main reason for my earlier reply.  I've
> left my quoted reply above.
>

> I'm also against this.  Inactivity for a week or two is not enough reason
> to allow a known regression to be present in a release.
>
> Is there a reason we can't identify the commit that caused the problem and
> simply revert before doing the release, then fix it afterwards?
>
> If we're in a position where trunk has drifted so far between the
> regression and its identification that it is too labor-intensive to revert
> and we need to fix it forward, then the release *is* stuck - that's the
> whole point of the "release blocker" category.  This is a very unfortunate
> situation but less unfortunate than shipping buggy releases that are known
> to break big users of Twisted.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have created https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/10073 to add extra
info to our release documentation.

So, we will continue to have release candidates and will block a release
for as long as it's needed.

I can continue to use Twisted from pinned trunk without any issue :)

--------

It looks like with enough noise we got 2 PRs for the release blocker ticket

https://github.com/twisted/twisted/pull/1499
https://github.com/twisted/twisted/pull/1501

:)

So I hope the release will no longer be blocked  for much longer :)

--
Adi Roiban