[Twisted-Python] Participating to GitHub Sponsors

Adi Roiban adi at roiban.ro
Wed Dec 23 14:19:34 MST 2020

Hi

Thanks Barry for the feedback,

I have pressed the green button... then then I was asked to enter more info
and press more green buttons :)

I wasn't aware that this is a clone of patreon.com ...

I ended up with this https://github.com/sponsors/twisted?preview=true

----

The page is not active as it asks for a Stripe payment API...but I think
that is for individuals and not organizations.
So we might need to get in touch the the Freedom Software Conservancy to
sort this out.

More info inline...

On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 at 12:00, Barry Scott <barry.scott at forcepoint.com>
wrote:

> On Wednesday, 16 December 2020 11:17:06 GMT Adi Roiban wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Wed, 16 Dec 2020 at 02:49, Ian Haywood <ian at haywood.id.au> wrote:
> >
> > > No objection, but any plans for the money? I'd ask for more reviewers,
> I'd
> > > like to contribute more to twisted but there's little point without
> access
> > > to code review in a reasonable timeframe.
> > >

> > First we need funds... I am sure that we will find a way to spend it
> well.
>
> It usually for a sponsor to ask what the sponsorship will be used for.
> I'd assume that twisted projects needs a plan for how to spend the money
> to share with the sponsor.

I agree that this is backward.

At this point we are not asking for money ... but will do soon.

This is just a discussion for a future money raising effort.

First question was whether to enable future donations via GitHub and then
via Stripe and then via the Software Freedom Conservancy.
I think that this is answered.

I think that is worth exploring the fundraising option and also to check
that we have any luck in getting a plan approved.

There are a couple of issues that needs to be solved and the GitHub process
can act as a guide... but we need:

* 1. creating a plan
* 2. finding someone to approve it
* 3. finding a way to fund the plan

Cheers
Adi

Barry

> > Trying to see if we can solve the reviewing queue with money is one
> > option... but is not that easy.
> >
> > I am available to review one of your PR in exchange for another review :)
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > PS: If you have any conch-ssh PR, send me a message and I will review it
> > (for free... no reviewed asked in exchange)
> >

> > > On 16/12/2020 11:56 am, Adi Roiban wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Does anyone have anything against applying so that Twisted can be on
> the
> > > waitlist of the GitHub Sponsors ?
> > >
> > > https://github.com/sponsors/twisted/waitlist
> > >
> > > As far as I know, the money for the Twisted project is managed by the
> > > Software Freedom Conservancy organization and they are already approved
> > > hosts for GitHub Sponsors.
> > >
> > > At this point, we only need to press the green button.
> > > The bank account and other administrative issues are already sorted
> out.

> > > If there are no complaints , I plan to press the green button in 1
> week.
> > >
> > > We will then have to see how to access those funds via Software Freedom
> > > Conservancy... but that is part 2.
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > > --
> > > Adi Roiban