[Twisted-Python] twistedchecker now uses pylint >= 2.4.4, can we use type annotations in Twisted now?

Craig Rodrigues rodrigc at crodrigues.org
Tue Apr 21 21:57:12 MDT 2020

Hi,

Last week I did some work and updated twistedchecker
so that it uses pylint >= 2.4.4.  Before that, it was using a really old
version
of pylint.

twistedchecker is run over the Twisted code as part of CI, and reports
various style issues.  Now that twistedchecker is using a newer pylint,
it should be compatible with newer Python language features.

Now that Twisted supports Python 3.5+ (with Python 2.7 support being
dropped),
is it OK to start using newer features of the Python language in the
Twisted codebase
such as type hints ( https://docs.python.org/3/library/typing.html )?

I don't have experience with that feature, but it looks like it could be
useful,
when combined with a tool like mypy.  Does anyone else have opinions on
type hints and mypy?

--
Craig