[Twisted-Python] farewell to twisted.news

Hynek Schlawack hs at ox.cx
Fri May 31 00:39:58 MDT 2019

> If you love NNTP, and would like to help this package stick around by maintaining it, that would be great!  However, please note that at this point it's not worth discussing unless you have the actual free time to dedicate to doing the py3 port, cleaning up the test coverage, and generally keeping it updated and maintained going forward.  Any PR wanting to un-deprecate it is also going to have to get it working on py3 :-).

I don’t think this is necessarily the narrative that ought to be had in 2019.

I’d push for: if you love NNTP and want it to stick around, do all the work, put it on PyPI, and if it’s good, we’ll move it into the Twisted orga on GitHub.  NNTP support looks quite independent to me and at this point we can/should apply Amber’s core summit talk to Twisted’s batteries just as well..

Cheers,
—h

P.S. Please don’t storm out of the room. ;)