[Twisted-Python] Binary wheels for Twisted on Windows?

Griatch Art griatch at gmail.com
Tue May 28 05:04:05 MDT 2019

Hi,

I'm investigating installing the Evennia MU* server on Windows. We use
Twisted and will be requiring Python3.7 in our next release. I need to make
easy-to-use install instructions since a lot of Windows users use our
library.

I tested with a Windows7 64bit VM and installed everything from scratch to
emulate what a non-dev Windows user would see. I don't have Windows10 so
can't compare to the install experience there (but Windows7 64bit is still
relevant, having something like 24% of the active Windows user-base
according to Steam).

Using pip to install Evennia, at the Twisted requirement install step I run
into an error telling me that I need "Microsoft Visual C++ build tools"
from the URL https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/downloads. The first issue
is that there does not appear to be any build-tools package named like that
on that page or sub-page (at least not what I could find after digging
around). I tried to install a few similarly-named packages, like "Visual
Studio Build Tools", but  had no luck getting past the Twisted install
point. So that recommendation-string should likely be updated.

The thing is though, while I could probably personally figure out how to
set it up eventually, our Windows users are likely the least tech-savvy of
our users. Requiring them to set up a compiler environment (despite us
telling them that Python code does not need compilation) a bit too much.
It seems Twisted has distributed binary Windows wheels in the past, would
it be possible to get them again? Or should I recommend some other,
specific install procedure for our Windows users?

Cheers,
Griatch, Evennia dev