[Twisted-Python] Twisted for http/2 (RESTful) webservices - client/server

Jayanth Acharya jayachar88 at gmail.com
Fri May 24 06:19:13 MDT 2019

Hi,

Quick intro - I am new to Python, and come from Java background (with some
exposure to NIO). I am part of a small team setup for testing of some 5G
telecom network software that have micro-service decomposition and the
components communicate with each other using REST interface over HTTP/2.0
(over TLS).

>From my reading so far, I've come to realize that they don't use the
edge-HTTP/2.0 approach i.e. delegate HTTP/2.0 termination to nginx as proxy
then talk HTTP/1.1 internally, but each component is a HTTP/2.0 endpoint
(client and server as they switch roles).

My understanding is that Twisted framework supports HTTP/2.0 via hyper-h2.
>From a very quick read of the Twisted docs (and some stackoverflow Q&A) I
get the impression that it is possible to use Flask as the RESTful
web-service framework using HTTP/2.0 for the server-end, but perhaps there
is no Twisted framework provided HTTP/2.0 client at similar level of
abstraction, and one perhaps needs to use hyper-h2 at more nuts-n-bolts
level. I hope I am completely wrong on the latter part.

If someone could shed some clarity on the above, and if possible point to
some relevant tutorials and samples that may help me get started would be
highly appreciated.

cheers,
Jay