[Twisted-Python] A Proposal for reducing the burden of developing on Twisted by dropping Python 2 support

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Mon Mar 25 22:57:57 MDT 2019

Hi Barry!

Thanks for your feedback.

> On Mar 25, 2019, at 10:22 AM, Scott, Barry <barry.scott at forcepoint.com> wrote:
>
> We are stuck on python2.7 for the foreseeable future and you will not see us
> in the PyPi stats. We download your release tar ball and build an RPM from it.
> We also have to build python2.7 our selves as we are stuck on Centos 6.8.

Given the nature of your product I'm curious: isn't the inability to maintain certifications like PCI / HIPAA due to the lack of upstream support for python 2.7 a problem for a security application?

> Having a legacy twisted with critical bugs and security fixes would work for
> us.

Apropos of the question in my other response - would you (or any of your colleagues) be willing to take responsibility for such a branch and do the security triage / backport work there?

-g