[Twisted-Python] ANN: Eliot 1.7, the causal logging library, now with inlineCallbacks support

Scott, Barry barry.scott at forcepoint.com
Mon Mar 25 11:06:23 MDT 2019

On Thursday, 21 March 2019 15:27:35 GMT Itamar Turner-Trauring wrote:
> Python and Twisted's built-in `logging` output a stream of factoids: they’re
> interesting, but you can’t really tell what’s going on.
>
>  * Why is your application slow?
>  * What caused this code path to be chosen?
>  * Why did this error happen?
> Standard logging can’t answer these questions.
>
> But with a better model you could understand what and why things happened in
> your application. You could pinpoint performance bottlenecks, you could
> understand what happened when, who called what.
>
> That is what Eliot does. `Eliot` is a Python logging system that outputs
> causal chains of *actions*: actions can spawn other actions, and eventually
> they either *succeed or fail*. The resulting logs tell you the story of
> what your software did: what happened, and what caused it.
>

> Eliot has had good Twisted support from the start, but the latest release
> also supports inlineCallbacks, thanks to Jean-Paul Calderone.
>
> You can learn more about Eliot at https://eliot.readthedocs.io/en/stable/

Interesting library.

It seems that I cannot have a action finish with an error unless I raise an
exception. That seems limiting, there are lots of cases where I have code
that hits an error condition and does not raise an exception. For example
an HTTP request that gets a non 200 status.

Have I missed something?

Barry