[Twisted-Python] ANN: Eliot 1.7, the causal logging library, now with inlineCallbacks support

Itamar Turner-Trauring itamar at itamarst.org
Fri Mar 22 07:34:53 MDT 2019

Hi!

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019, at 3:01 AM, Chris Withers wrote:

> Have you looked at tools like https://www.jaegertracing.io/?
> Feels like quite a similar approach to Eliot, and it's be fantastic if
> Eliot could provide contexts to Jaeger for Twisted applications!

There are some similarities, yes. Eliot was in part inspired by a tool called Frost that was created before—and was similar to—Dapper. And Dapper inspired a whole generation of tracing systems.

However, these tracing systems are mostly about large scale distributed systems with lots of different services, so from what I've seen their operational requirements tend to be more heavyweight. And they often seem less interested in tracing within a program. Eliot is very Python-focused, and about smaller scale systems (and e.g. very useful for scientific computing, which Jaeger and similar systems likely have no interest in).

I have vaguely considered hooking up Eliot to OpenTracing so they can interoperate (https://github.com/itamarst/eliot/issues/361).

Easiest thing if you want to use Jaeger might be extending Jaeger's Python library to support Twisted, e.g. borrow DeferredContext API design from Eliot. But it's possible Eliot could go in the other direction and feed into Jaeger (I'm not sure whether OpenTracing spec provides for compatibility on wire level, or just language-level API).

-Itamar

(I might, by the way, have availability for related consulting at some point.)