[Twisted-Python] A Proposal for reducing the burden of developing on Twisted by dropping Python 2 support

Maarten ter Huurne maarten at treewalker.org
Mon Mar 25 04:55:53 MDT 2019

On Monday, 25 March 2019 11:15:22 CET Amber Brown wrote:

> One of my rationales is that from some analysis of PyPI download
> statistics, the vast majority of Python 2 users are using old versions
> of Twisted, while nearly all our Python 3 users are on the latest
> version. As such, I believe freezing a version that will get security
> updates but no new features would not be a massive loss to those
> stuck on Python 2 for whatever reason.

I think this makes sense: applications that are still gaining new
features should be on Python 3 by now. For applications on Python 2 the
main concern would be to keep them running while the world around them
updates (new OS versions etc).

> Comments are welcome, as well as which timeline seems reasonable.

Python 2.7 support will end early 2020. In my opinion it is unnecessary
to support Twisted on Python 2.7 for longer than Python 2.7 itself is
supported. So all of the proposed timelines are generous, in my opinion.

Bye,
		Maarten