[Twisted-Python] operational visibility

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Sun Dec 22 16:58:39 MST 2019

> On Nov 11, 2019, at 11:12 PM, Glyph <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
>
> At twistedmatrix.com <http://twistedmatrix.com/>, we dogfood a bunch of Twisted software: our DNS server (primary and secondary!), our web server, even a little bit of email stuff here and there.  And we have our own structured logging system to make it, ahem, "easy" to put logs into some kind of a system that can tell you what Twisted is doing.
>
> But uh… we don't get a lot of value from this because the tracebacks just go into disk files that nobody ever looks at.
>
> Does anyone know if, say, Sentry supports a free tier for open source projects, or something like that?  Or any other error-tracking provider even vaguely compatible with Twisted might do something like that?  It would be nice to surface and fix tracebacks that affect our own infrastructure before they hit our users.

Following up on this: Armin Ronacher graciously gifted a Sponsored sentry subscription (happy holidays!) for the Twisted project.  I have sent invites to a couple of other maintainers, but if you would like access, let me know.

Right now, nothing sends tracebacks to Sentry yet, so the first step would be adding some code / deployment secrets to let our various services do that.

-glyph