[Twisted-Python] The Python 2.7 Plan

Amber Brown (hawkowl) hawkowl at atleastfornow.net
Mon Dec 16 14:29:55 MST 2019

On 12/12/19 8:41 am, Wilfredo Sánchez Vega wrote:
>    I don't object to the final release being in April instead of
> January, though I'm not sure that the additional release really means we
> need to do that.  But FWIW I'm in favor of Option 3 / calling 19.4 the
> final release.  :-)
>
>    My sense is that there was consensus on hawkowl's proposal except
> for, I think:
>
> 1- Should we drop the idea of a 2.7 maintenance branch?
> 2- It seems we need to fix the bug in twisted.names first.
> 3- Choosing a final 2.7 release date.
>
> -wsv

JP has mentioned elsewhere that enough of the ecosystem has dropped, or
will drop, support that a lot of applications staying on 2.7 will have
dependencies frozen in time regardless. I think this is valid, and that
Twisted remaining compatible with 2.7 hardly matters when so much else
isn't and forces the hand of 2.7-stalwarts regardless. As such, I think
dropping the 2.7 maint branch is valid.

And yes, we do need to fix that bug. There's some other py3 specific
bugs in names's host file resolver, but, I think that bugfix would end
up hitting that portion of code's unicode uncleanliness. It just comes
down to someone doing it, I guess...

- Amber