[Twisted-Python] The Python 2.7 Plan

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Mon Dec 16 08:10:20 MST 2019

> On Dec 11, 2019, at 1:16 PM, Jean-Paul Calderone <exarkun at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 4:06 PM Wilfredo Sánchez Vega <wsanchez at wsanchez.net <mailto:wsanchez at wsanchez.net>> wrote:
>   With Python 2.7 support dropping in a matter of weeks, I'd like to pick up from hawkowl's thread back in March about Python 2.7 support for Twisted.
>
> Despite the widely circulated January 1 2020 date, it seems that python-dev nevertheless plans to make a Python 2.7 release in April 2020 - https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0373/ <https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0373/>
>
> This is not to say the questions here don't need answering or that there isn't some urgency at this point, but it seems like the January 1 date is essentially an arbitrary deadline without a clear connection to the support status of CPython 2.7.
>
> Or does anyone know a different way to reconcile these apparently conflicting dates?

This is just speculative, just based on my own historical understanding of python-dev's process and somewhat informal definition of "support", but I believe the sentence "Support officially stops January 1 2020, but the final release will occur after that date." means something like "We will accept new bug reports and may start fixing things until January 1; however, the fixes in progress as of that date will be completed and released in a final version some time later."

When we EOL py27 support for Twisted we should probably do something similar so anyone who wants to get a pending fix out as part of the last 27-supporting release has a window to do that.

-g