[Twisted-Python] Twisted Conch on v19.2.1: now requires explicit installation of bcrypt

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Sat Apr 13 00:01:44 MDT 2019

> On Apr 12, 2019, at 10:33 PM, Tobias Oberstein <tobias.oberstein at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,

Hi Tobias,

> I'm not sure if it considered a Twisted bug,

It's not :).

> but Twisted Conch on Twisted 19.2.1 now seems to require explicit installation of bcrypt, which wasn't the case on <19.2.1.

This is not exactly accurate.

What happened here is that your other dependencies happened to let you use conch without installing anything else in the past, but you weren't doing the supported thing, which is to use the `[conch]` extra to indicate you want all the optional requirements for conch.

(Also, 19.2.1?  Are you writing to us from an alternate future where there's been a security patch release? Not very good time-travel opsec!)

> Here is our (Crossbar.io) tracking issue:
>
> https://github.com/crossbario/crossbar/issues/1555
>
> Not a big deal obviously - we'll add that (indirect) dependency to Crossbar.io .. just wanted to post here if anyone else runs into.

Just add a dependency on `twisted[conch]` and you should be good for this release and for any future releases where conch needs other dependencies.

> Cheers,
> /Tobias
>
> PS: I did test the upcoming Twisted release with Crossbar.io - but only a "quick manual test", not our full CI - which now ran red (by being triggered from an unrelated PR).
>
> There is more fallout for us with the new Twisted release:( Analyzing that now. We (Crossbar.io) really should have run our _full_ CI on the upcoming release.

So it goes!

-g