[Twisted-Python] Twisted 18.9.0rc1 Release Candidate Announcement

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Sun Sep 30 19:08:33 MDT 2018

> On Sep 30, 2018, at 4:26 PM, John Santos <john at egh.com> wrote:
>
> On 9/28/2018 06:43 AM, Amber Brown wrote:
>> Hello everyone! It's time again for a Twisted release. It's not a huge one, but it does have some important changes!
>> Twisted 18.9rc1 features:
>> - Support for Python 3.7!
>> - Better support for Unicode handling in logging tracebacks in Python 2
>> - trial -j now reports tracebacks on test failures on Python 3.
>> - twisted.internet._sslverify.ClientTLSOptions no longer raises IDNAError when given an IPv6 address as a hostname in a HTTPS URL.
>> - HTTP/2 server connections will no longer time out active downloads that take too long.
>> You can get the tarball and the NEWS file at https://twistedmatrix.com/Releases/rc/18.9.0rc1/ , or you can try it out from PyPI:
>>     python -m pip install Twisted==18.9.0rc1
>> Please test it, and let me know how your applications fare, good or bad! If nothing comes up, I will release next week.
>> - Amber
>
> The NEWS file displays with no line breaks on Win10 in either Firefox or Chrome.  This makes it essentially unreadable.  Going back to https://twistedmatrix.com/Releases/rc/, and looking at the various release candidates, it looks like 17.1.0rc1 and before look like normal text files, but 17.5.0rc1 and later look like a single globbed line of text.  Probably not coincidentally, the good versions all list the Content type as [text/plain] whereas the unreadable versions are all [text/html]

This is actually a bug in Twisted itself, if you are keen to fix it :)

Previous versions have 'NEWS.txt', and Twisted knows about the MIME type for '.txt' files, probably via /etc/mime.types or similar.  Current versions have 'NEWS.rst', and twisted has a default MIME type of text/html (which is a terrible idea and should not be the case).

You might be able to fix this by eliminating the default MIME type from Twisted (although this would just let your browser do the sniffing, not sure if that would be better) or you could definitely fix this by teaching Braid <https://github.com/twisted-infra/braid <https://github.com/twisted-infra/braid>> about text/x-rst <http://docutils.sourceforge.net/FAQ.html#what-s-the-official-mime-type-for-restructuredtext-data <http://docutils.sourceforge.net/FAQ.html#what-s-the-official-mime-type-for-restructuredtext-data>>.

-glyph