[Twisted-Python] carly: a tool for testing twisted protocols with real networking

Chris Withers chris at withers.org
Fri Nov 16 08:07:56 MST 2018

Hi All,

Okay, so, I've started working jml's "really disconnecting" blog post
into a more generic set of tooling for testing protocols talking to each
other over real networking like this:

https://github.com/cjw296/carly/blob/master/tests/test_line_receiver_server.py

Very interested in peoples thoughts, and especially if you can spot any
bugs in these two:

https://github.com/cjw296/carly/blob/master/carly/hook.py
https://github.com/cjw296/carly/blob/master/carly/context.py

Thanks for all the help so far, it's certainly helping me get my head
around this all :-)

Chris

PS: Real networking is bad, yes, I know: slow, unreliable, etc ;-)
However, in most of the testing I do, I end up having to hit a real
database server to check my code works with it, so a few more tcp
connections to localhost is not the end of the world!