[Twisted-Python] List of required builds before a merge

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Mon Mar 12 06:14:55 MDT 2018

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 7:59 AM, Adi Roiban <adi at roiban.ro> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It is not clear to me what builders need to pass before we can merge
> something.
>
> I expect that all supported "platforms" need to pass, but it is not
> clear what are the currently supported platforms.
>
> We have this info in the wiki but it does not help.
> https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/ReviewProcess#Authors:
> Howtomergethechangetotrunk
>
> In GitHub I can see Travis / Appveyor and OSX from Buildot as "Required"
>
> Is that all?
>
> ----------
>
> If I check the "supported" group in Buildbot, I see many more builders.
> The problem is that a significant number of slaves are down and those
> builders are not available.
>
> --------
>
> Is Fedora still supported and required?
>
> -------
>
> I suggest to use GitHub "Required" marker to document what platforms
> are supported.
>
> We don't have time to maintain the infrastructure, so I suggest to
> drop support for anything that is not supported by Travis and
> Appveyor.

It would help to have a list of what coverage this would remove.  What
platforms are only covered by Travis and Appveyor?   What tests are only
run there?  What platforms are only covered by Buildbot?  What tests are
only run there?

Without this information, it's not really possible to make an informed
decision.  No user cares about whether we drop buildbot.  Some user might
care if we, for example, drop HTTP support.

> I know that this might be disruptive.
> I think that we need it in order to raise awareness that supporting a
> platform is not easy.
> If someone (including me) cares about a platform they should find a
> way to help to project supporting that platform.

Note that some people cared about some platforms and they found a way to
help in donating a buildslave.  Do the operators of the offline slaves
*know* that the slaves are offline?  Maybe all that's missing is some
notification to the operators when their slave goes away.  If that's all,
jumping straight to "throw away all of buildbot" seems like an overreaction.

Jean-Paul