[Twisted-Python] Twistedmatrix.com: scheduled maintenance July 18th

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Fri Jul 13 07:43:24 MDT 2018

On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 4:27 AM Evilham <contact at evilham.com> wrote:

> Am 13.07.2018 um 08:35 schrieb Glyph:
> >> DNS could be pointed at an S3-backed website to serve a maintenance
> >> message, at least.  Not optimal, but better than ECONNREFUSED I would
> >> think.  I'd be happy to set this up and foot the bill - if someone
> >> provides the content (I can make web pages but no one really wants
> that).
> >
> > Please do so!
> >
> > Although keep in mind that it is the DNS primary as well, so you'll have
> > to update it with enough of a buffer that the secondary has cached the
> > address by the time it goes offline.
>
> I could also set this up on a Data Center in Switzerland; without
> spending a penny :).
> Only TLS is kind of a thing though, I'd probably generate LE certs to
> keep visitors happy and promise to delete those after the maintenance
> time-window.
> It'd make sense if that's kind of a no-go ^^.
>
> If it does sound like sth to do, just let me know in advance and I'll
> set up the thing + be available to trigger LE cert generation as soon as
> DNS is set up.
> (In that case, I noticed twistedmatrix.com doesn't have HSTS headers, so
> note to self: do not set those up :-D)
>

> As for content, I have a placeholder I've used in the past, which I've
> adapted to Twisted. Feel free to use/modify/not use at will.
>
> Preview: https://evilham.com/twisted_placeholder/
> Source: https://evilham.com/twisted_placeholder.tar.gz

Thanks.  That content is way better than I would have done.  I've put it up
at
http://2a28c83f-1613-4f82-a99c-cf7ca21326f8.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/
just to see.

The TLS issue will be the same on AWS as you mentioned.  If the maintenance
site is to have HTTPS (which seems clearly to be the case) and we host on
AWS then I'll also need a certificate.  AWS CertManager would probably be
the way to go for this.

I probably already have access to all the things I need to get a new
certificate issued.  I'm happy to go ahead and complete the AWS setup if
that sounds good to everyone else.

Whichever way we go, thanks for the placeholder content and the offer to
host it, Evilham.

Jean-Paul