[Twisted-Python] The Future of Twisted.News

Amber Brown hawkowl at atleastfornow.net
Mon Apr 2 02:23:29 MDT 2018

Hi all,

I thought it would be a good time to raise the topic of twisted.news and
its future in Twisted.

Currently, t.news has below-Twisted standards of code coverage,
implementation (with one huuuuge ad-hoc state machine), comments, tests,
etc. It's also not had any changes to the bulk of its code for 14 years,
apart from what appears to be code removal 6 years ago and a handful of
"twisted-wide" mechanical syntax changes. It's also unlikely to ever be
ported to Python 3 unless someone were to improve the former issues
(since the port would require 100%-as-possible code coverage).

I propose deprecating twisted.news on the condition that it doesn't have
a maintainer, and un-deprecating it if a user of the code steps up to
maintain it and brings it into line (vs one of the current development
team taking on work keeping an ancient protocol on life support). If
nobody steps up, then we remove it at the end of the deprecation period
and encourage any remaining users to either pin to old Twisteds or
simply vendor the code in their own codebase.

The ticket I have created for this is at
https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/9405 .

- Amber