[Twisted-Python] Migrating Trac Tickets to GitHub issues

Craig Rodrigues rodrigc at crodrigues.org
Sat Sep 30 18:30:34 MDT 2017

On Sat, Sep 30, 2017 at 2:15 PM, Adi Roiban <adi at roiban.ro> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to re-start the conversation about migrating Trac tickets
> to GitHub issues.
>
> My main reason for doing this is to make it easier for people to
> contribute to Twisted.

I think migrating Twisted issues from Trac to GitHub is a good idea,
and will make it easier for people to interact with the project.

> 1. We will no longer get the nice ticket reports.

This is true.  However, I will make a guess that
not many people are actively interacting with the Twisted
project, and not really actively following bug activity in Trac.
So there is some loss there, but I think the project would survive and go
on.

One thing that I would like to point out is that the Buildbot
project was using Trac for their issue tracker, and then decided to
migrate their issues to GitHub.

They worked on a tool called trac2github that allowed them to
migrate tickets from Trac to GitHub, preserving history, and
also creating a link back to the original Trac issue:

https://lists.buildbot.net/pipermail/devel/2017-March/012341.html

For the buildbot project, I think this approach as worked out, and the
project has continued.

If the Twisted project decides to switch to GitHub for issues, then
possibly buildbot's
scripts and experience can be used as a template for such a migration.

--
Craig