[Twisted-Python] Changing procmon.ProcessMonitor.processes

ex vito ex.vitorino at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 04:49:13 MDT 2017

On 2017-09-18, at 16:35, Moshe Zadka <zadka.moshe at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 2:44 AM ex vito <ex.vitorino at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sidenote: A quick, mostly backwards compatible, change could probably add cwd to the existing per-process tuple in self.processes as an extra item, couldn't it?
>
> No. Most usage of this tuple is unpacking, which makes it really really not backwards compatible.

If that is the case, then I stand corrected. That would not be backwards compatible at all.

> > 4. Decide we're going with "incompatible change", and move processes to a private attribute.
>
> I see no reason for accessing those attributes from "outside of ProcessMonitor" but if Twisted claims not to break existing code without previous deprecation warning, such an approach would break that promise (full policy details here http://twistedmatrix.com/documents/current/core/development/policy/compatibility-policy.html).
>
> Specifically, I was asking about http://twistedmatrix.com/documents/current/core/development/policy/compatibility-policy.html#procedure-for-exceptions-to-this-policy

We're on the same page, then (literally).

Quoting that section, with regards to incompatible changes, "Generally, the reason that one would want to do this is to give applications a performance enhancement or bug fix that could break behavior that unanticipated, hypothetical uses of an existing API (...)". Would this change fall under that? Maybe not. Then again, I understand that "Every change is unique", so maybe those words don't need to be taken in a strict sense.

Other than that, again, per that section's rules, not being a commiter myself, I'm in no position to approve such a change. I wonder, however, how "urgent" such a final change is to you and why a deprecation cycle does not fit your purpose (even though, admittedly, it may represent more effort).

My 2c.
--
exvito