[Twisted-Python] Asyncio presentations at Pybay 2017

Craig Rodrigues rodrigc at crodrigues.org
Wed Sep 13 16:54:19 MDT 2017

A few weeks ago I attended Pybay 2017 in San Francisco ( http://pybay.com ).

I attended three interesting talks on asyncio:

Performant Asynchronous Programming at Quora:
https://engineering.quora.com/Asynchronous-Programming-in-Python
"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iqibyfxw3w"

How Optimizely Scaled its REST API with Asyncio
https://www.slideshare.net/optimizely/how-optimizely-scaled-its-rest-api-with-asyncio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgLA9Hp-CvY

Awaits, how do they work?
https://epsy.github.io/ahdtw/#/

While none of these talks used Twisted,
a few of the talks briefly mentioned Twisted when talking about the
history of async style programming in Python.

>From what I can see, now that asyncio is in the Python standard library,
more people and companies are more open trying async-style things,
and are moving to the Python asyncio way of doing thing.

During the Optimizely presentation, I asked them what the biggest pain point
for them was, and the they responded that lack of asyncio support
in the frameworks they used (specifically Pyramid).

I think over time, more frameworks will support this, and the overall
situation
will improve.

But overall, it seems that people are buying into the Python asyncio way of
doing things.

--
Craig