[Twisted-Python] Migrating Trac Tickets to GitHub issues

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Sun Oct 1 12:32:27 MDT 2017

> On Oct 1, 2017, at 9:31 AM, Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc at crodrigues.org> wrote:
>

> On Sun, Oct 1, 2017 at 3:30 AM, Amber Brown <hawkowl at atleastfornow.net <mailto:hawkowl at atleastfornow.net>> wrote:
>

> Currently, GitHub Issues don't allow for non-committers to make modifications to categories, milestones, edit the original ticket description, or close tickets. This kinda sucks, because it makes the pool of triagers smaller, and also makes most obvious review queue methods harder (adding a category).
>

> Are there enough non-committers to Twisted who are actively doing this right now, to make this
> as big an issue as you are claiming?  My guess is no.

"Submit for review" is such an action, so, yes.

> Other projects related to klein and treq are using GitHub to track issues instead of Trac.
> Do those projects have problem with non-committers triaging issues, despite the inability to
> create/modify categories/milestones, etc.?

Yes.  It's a huge issue.  If I didn't have a regular task to manually comb those trackers I don't know if anything would get looked at; I have nothing to point others at other than "just randomly peruse the list of open issues".  Trac is hot garbage but I miss it every time I have to look at my not-quite-working ad-hoc query to figure out what the workflow state on everything there is.

That said: if we could get this ALL into github, then we could write ONE query that would be the full review queue for all Twisted org projects.  And that would be amazing, a huge upgrade from what we've got now.

Finishing txghbot is probably not a ton of work, but it's not zero either.

-g