[Twisted-Python] Migrating Trac Tickets to GitHub issues

Amber Brown hawkowl at atleastfornow.net
Sun Oct 1 04:30:27 MDT 2017

> On 1 Oct 2017, at 8:15 am, Adi Roiban <adi at roiban.ro> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I would like to re-start the conversation about migrating Trac tickets
> to GitHub issues.
>
> My main reason for doing this is to make it easier for people to
> contribute to Twisted.
>
> In CONTRIBUTING there is this info
>
> `GitHub doesn't provide adequate tooling for its community.`
>
> I don't know what is missing in GitHub and why overall Trac is better
> than GitHub issues.
>
> I know that GitHub Issues is simple and you can't save reports.
>
> What are problems are there with GitHub issues, which are blocking the
> migration?
>
> Please send your thoughts.
>
> Why you think that GitHub issues might be worst than Trac tickets :) ?

Currently, GitHub Issues don't allow for non-committers to make modifications to categories, milestones, edit the original ticket description, or close tickets. This kinda sucks, because it makes the pool of triagers smaller, and also makes most obvious review queue methods harder (adding a category).

I think Mark Williams or someone has hacked up a bot to sidestep this, but... again, contributor effort to get that past the line.

- Amber