[Twisted-Python] PyPy 5.9.0 on buildbots

Mark Williams mrw at enotuniq.org
Wed Nov 29 16:29:25 MST 2017

On Sat, Nov 25, 2017, at 06:18 PM, Glyph wrote:

>> On Nov 23, 2017, at 6:18 PM, Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc at crodrigues.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Can someone update PyPy on the buildbots from PyPy 5.8.0 to PyPy 5.9.0?
>
> I'd love to move PyPy support forward (I even went to the trouble of doing the password-reset dance necessary to get my SSH keys onto these buildbots), but it looks like we have installed from the PPA, which has fallen behind the official releases - https://launchpad.net/~pypy/+archive/ubuntu/ppa/+packages - so upgrading isn't obvious.
>
> Weirdly it looks like Debian is on top of things and *does* have a current version of the package - https://packages.debian.org/sid/pypy - but I have no clue how to configure these machines to pull just this one package from Debian.  If anyone knows how this works, I'd be happy to put more SSH keys on these servers.

Glyph gave me access to the 3 PyPy builders:

https://buildbot.twistedmatrix.com/builders/ubuntu16.04-pypy5

I just replaced the system PyPy from the PPA with Squeaky's portable
PyPy 5.9.0:

https://github.com/squeaky-pl/portable-pypy

The PyPy installations are in /opt/pypy_portable/pypy, and their
binaries are symlinked into /usr/local/bin.  This is documented in
~root/PYPY_README.

The builders should now be using PyPy 5.9.0:

https://buildbot.twistedmatrix.com/builders/ubuntu16.04-pypy5/builds/172/steps/select/logs/stdio

I have also pinged the maintainer of the Ubuntu PPA about adding PyPy
5.9.0.  Once that happens I'll switch the builders back to the PPA.

--
  Mark Williams
  mrw at enotuniq.org