[Twisted-Python] PyPy 5.9.0 on buildbots

Adi Roiban adi at roiban.ro
Sat Nov 25 21:34:28 MST 2017

On 26 November 2017 at 02:18, Glyph <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:

> On Nov 23, 2017, at 6:18 PM, Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc at crodrigues.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Can someone update PyPy on the buildbots from PyPy 5.8.0 to PyPy 5.9.0?
>

> I'd love to move PyPy support forward (I even went to the trouble of doing
> the password-reset dance necessary to get my SSH keys onto these buildbots),
> but it looks like we have installed from the PPA, which has fallen behind
> the official releases -
> https://launchpad.net/~pypy/+archive/ubuntu/ppa/+packages - so upgrading
> isn't obvious.
>
> Weirdly it looks like Debian is on top of things and does have a current
> version of the package - https://packages.debian.org/sid/pypy - but I have
> no clue how to configure these machines to pull just this one package from
> Debian.  If anyone knows how this works, I'd be happy to put more SSH keys
> on these servers.

My 2 cents.

Maybe just run pypy on Travis-CI instead of the buildslaves

There is this PR https://github.com/twisted/twisted/pull/226

and ticket

https://twistedbumatrix.com/trac/ticket/8505

---------

In that ticket there is one way of solving this.

Instead of using using Ubuntu or Debian packages, just use OS
independent method to install latest PYPY.

Glyph, do we need Debian/Ubuntu packages for PYPY installed on the slaves?

-----------

For designing the buildbot builders maybe we can get something similar
to Travis-CI.
Before running the tests, buildbot will call something like `python
admin/buildbot-init` and depending on the environment variables, this
script can install various things.

In this way we have more configuration logic in the repo and
developers can advance the work without waiting for someone to upgrade
the OS

--
Adi Roiban