[Twisted-Python] [ANN] bloc - group membership framework

Manish Tomar manish.tomar at gmail.com
Fri May 5 23:31:30 MDT 2017

Hey Glyph,

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 11:38 PM, Glyph <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:

> Thanks Manish!  This README looks like a great intro.

Thanks Glyph! Considering my writing skills, this is a great compliment.

> Are there any plans to extend this to something consensus-based or

 Not as of now. Consensus-based extension requires pure python non-network
Raft implementation which would make it easy to add a thin twisted
networking layer on it. I haven't looked around for such library. Moreover,
it's not as easy to reason about and will need much better testing. One
only needs to look into aphyr's blog to realize how all the implementations
of different distributed systems are broken.

> is there a range of applications for which single-master is better?

Not particularly except the fact that it is simpler to understand and debug
(if required). If you have a *reasonbly* reliable network and machines then
I think it is useful. However, if you have a large deployment on the cloud
with mutiple availability zones and expect network partitions/glitches then
having a consensus-based tool like zookeeper or etcd is better. Please note
that bloc will work with bad network but can slow down the application
because it waits for stable network before informing the group.

Regards,
Manish