[Twisted-Python] non-merge commits to trunk & "review" keyword

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Mon Mar 6 21:37:47 MST 2017

> On Mar 6, 2017, at 6:03 PM, Jean-Paul Calderone <exarkun at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> GitHub apparently allows fast-forward merges to trunk.  Here's an example of one:
>
>   https://github.com/twisted/twisted/pull/730 <https://github.com/twisted/twisted/pull/730>
>
> This doesn't seem like a good thing.
> The ticket is still open
> There is no merge commit
> There is no merge commit message
> There are non-merge commits directly on trunk history (first parent)
>   Anyone else have an opinion?

This is definitely bad, forbidden by existing policy, etc.  In fact I remember adjusting the settings so that the 'merge' button would always create a merge commit; in fact, the configuration is still set that way.

Craig, since you're the one who made this merge, can you explain what happened?  Has github's 'merge' button stopped prompting for a commit message?  Failing to wait for the removal of the 'review' keyword was obviously a mistake, but based on my previous experience with the 'merge' button this wouldn't even be a type of mistake that's _possible_ to make; understanding what you did to trigger it would therefore be very useful.

I don't think this is bad enough to do any major VCS surgery to fix (similar mistakes exist in the history, and both commits to Twisted.Quotes and literally all of the imported SVN history are single-parent), but it is worth doing some work to avoid recurring.

> Also, on the same PR, it seems like folks have trouble managing the two different ways to represent the review states: the "review" keyword in trac and the accepted/etc status on the GitHub PR.  Maybe there shouldn't be two different ways to represent this?

Indeed there should not.  I hope someone has the time to address this soon

The only blocker is that I don't want to lose the notion of a "review queue".  The random mess of works-in-progress, already-reviewed code awaiting feedback, and abandoned experiments that shows up on the default 'pull request' view is not a workable substitute for the relatively short and explicit "I have submitted code that wants a review but hasn't gotten one" list at https://twisted.reviews/ <https://twisted.reviews/>.  However, some combination of Github's new-ish explicit review workflow, (possibly, if necessary) some kind of bot to perform the operations that are mysteriously forbidden to outside contributors, and a custom query could easily do the trick if someone can work it out and document it.

-glyph