[Twisted-Python] automatic subscription should be working again

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Thu Mar 30 02:14:27 MDT 2017

The web forms at https://twistedmatrix.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/twisted-python <https://twistedmatrix.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/twisted-python> as well as  https://twistedmatrix.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/twisted-web <https://twistedmatrix.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/twisted-web> should now be accepting web-based subscriptions again.

Right now the configuration has not technically changed - just to be safe, for the first day or two, we're going to leave the administrative-approval check in place on new subscribers, but I think that we have managed to address the main problem that was leading to abuse (usually one spam comes in every couple of seconds, and there hasn't been one for nearly an hour now).  If I don't see any more spammer subscription attempts in the next 24h I will likely make it fully self-service again.  Tell your friends, come join us to talk about Twisted!  (Or Twisted's mailing lists, you know, as we do here.)

This is probably a bigger deal to me than anyone else, since making sure our abysmal mail infrastructure didn't fall over and stop delivering messages to project members or DDoS some poor soul on the other side of the planet has been a grindingly tedious intermittent task for me over the last year.  Processing new subscription requests, and trying to disambiguate them from spammers, has been particularly time-consuming and frustrating; I suspect that a few dozen people who would really prefer to be on this list now have bounced off of the byzantine subscription process in the last six months.

The visibility and confidence that Mailgun's deliverability tracking has given me, plus some Mailman upgrades and configuration changes, should vastly reduce the amount of ongoing work that mail infra maintenance requires for me, so that I can get my PyCon talk done in time this year.  Maybe even fix a Twisted bug or two.

My my very heartfelt thanks to M-jimt on the #mailman IRC channel on Freenode for giving me several tips which lead to this final change.

Thank you all for your patience, and I _really_ hope that this is my last posting about meta-level mailing list junk this year :-).

-glyph