[Twisted-Python] Notice of future removal of Python 3.3 and 3.4 support in Twisted

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Thu Jun 15 22:38:59 MDT 2017

> On Jun 15, 2017, at 9:09 PM, Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc at crodrigues.org> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 3:33 AM, Amber Hawkie Brown <hawkowl at atleastfornow.net <mailto:hawkowl at atleastfornow.net>> wrote:
>

> Our policy says "buildbot builder" explicitly as the basis for support. Plus, Travis is some Pythons yolo'd onto a random Ubuntu for the purposes of smoke testing for people without access to our full build fleet; and the support for Python in Twisted has so far been on the basis of "what are people actually using" -- hence why we don't have a 3.3 or 3.4, as they are only generally available on EOL'd or enterprise distributions (which are unlikely to be used by people who want/can get the newest Twisted).

Counterpoint: `docker pull python:3.4`.

The 'yolo'd versions are nevertheless builds of the official pythonX.Y source, and "custom build" is a configuration that huge numbers of very prominent users stick to these days.

> My guess is that when the policy was written, a project had to maintain its own CI infrastructure
> because nothing out there was freely available that was good enough.  Basically, the Twisted project
> could either use its own self-maintained buildbot CI infrastructure, or jhave no CI at all.

This guess is pretty much accurate.  At the time, "buildbot" was a synonym for "CI", and that is entirely the spirit in which it was written.

> The landscape has changed a lot now.
> With Github + Travis/Appveyor/etc. are very good for CI.  While the configurations and versions of the OS and software
> used by Travis and Appveyor are out of the control of the Twisted project, they are quite good for most purposes.
> I would say that the Windows configurations on Appveyor are as good or better than Twisted's Windows buildbots.

Well, let's not get ahead of ourselves :-).

The Appveyor setup is to test Windows server builds, and the buildbots are to ensure that desktop versions that users actually use are still supported.

> I don't really think that Twisted's buildbot infrastructure is some holy grail of "what are people actually using".

Indeed not.

> I think it is fair to say that the Twisted's buildbot infrastructure represents what the Twisted
> project managed to set up and get working at some point of time, and the buildbots cover a good cross-section
> of configurations and operating systems that are not covered by Travis/Appveyor/etc.
>
> I think it is best for the Twisted release engineer to look at the results of all the Travis/Appveyor builds *and* the buildbot builds
> and decide what is supported or not.  That already happens now, because some of the buildbot builds are tagged as unsupported.

I basically agree with all of this, and I think the policy language should be changed to better reflect its original intent in a modern context.

-glyph