[Twisted-Python] Failure of twisted.test.test_plugin.DeveloperSetupTests.test_freshPyReplacesStalePyc under pypy2

Craig Rodrigues rodrigc at crodrigues.org
Fri Jul 14 00:22:59 MDT 2017

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 4:22 PM, Daniel Sutcliffe <dansut at gmail.com> wrote:

> - the FAIL goes away if the .py is not removed from the plugins dir
> and it seems to me that the .py removal is not actually required to
> strictly test what
> twisted.test.test_plugin.DeveloperSetupTests.test_freshPyReplacesStalePyc
> purports to be testing - so that could fix this test

OK.  Based on your analysis, and also Glyph's recommendation,
I think it is OK for this test to skip if Pypy is used.

Can you submit a patch for this test to skip on Pypy?
I think you can get things rolling if you do something like:

(1)  Learn the procedure to submit a patch by reading:
https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/TwistedDevelopment#SubmittingaPatch .
      There are a number of steps, but really it is not that bad.

(2)   Submit a patch that does the following:
        - modify twisted/test/test_plugin.py so that you:
        (a)  import _PYPY from twisted.python.compat
        (b) and then do something like:

         if _PYPY:
             test_freshPyReplacesStalePyc.skip = "Does not work on PYPY"

I can help review the change to get it in.

Thanks!
--
Craig