[Twisted-Python] WebSockets and QUIC for Twisted

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Jul 7 04:59:30 MDT 2017

On 06/07/17 03:58, Glyph wrote:

>> On Jul 5, 2017, at 2:32 AM, Barry Scott <barry.scott at forcepoint.com
>> <mailto:barry.scott at forcepoint.com>> wrote:
>>
>> I am interested in using Twisted with a couple of technologies:
>> WebSockets and
>> QUIC. I'm researching what is already available.
>
> Why are you interested in QUIC? My understanding was that Google used
> this protocol as an experiment, but HTTP/2 is the successful termination
> of the experiment, and nobody should really be using it.  (For http2
> support, `pip install twisted[tls,http2]`).

QUIC is definitely not dead. HTTP/2 is a clear win over HTTP/1 and was
the easiest first step, but as you've noted there's substantial interest
in running HTTP/2 over better-than-TCP transport (UDP being the only
practical alternative in the near term, what with middleboxes being so
horribly omnipresent).

As someone else noted, maybe you're thinking of SPDY?

Ironically the goals of QUIC are, I believe, similar to Vertex ;o)