[Twisted-Python] admin/pr_as_branch

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Sun Jan 22 18:28:43 MST 2017

> On Jan 22, 2017, at 5:24 PM, Jean-Paul Calderone <exarkun at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 8:19 PM, Glyph Lefkowitz <glyph at twistedmatrix.com <mailto:glyph at twistedmatrix.com>> wrote:
>
>> On Jan 22, 2017, at 5:15 PM, Jean-Paul Calderone <exarkun at twistedmatrix.com <mailto:exarkun at twistedmatrix.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I didn't find any hints about the workflow surrounding the admin/pr_as_branch tool so I invented one and wrote it up on the wiki:
>>
>> https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/ReviewProcess?action=diff&version=76 <https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/ReviewProcess?action=diff&version=76>
>>
>> Jean-Paul
>
> Thanks for writing this up.  The workflow is evolving organically.
>
> However, the "close the PR" step confuses me.  If you do this, the original contributor won't be able to respond to feedback.  What is the desired effect of this second PR?
>

> The idea I heard is that it provides a place to hang build failure-related review comments.  I also had some vague notion that it would be the place you'd look to see the complete CI results.
>
> So.  Where should further reviews go and where do you find CI results, if you don't create a new PR?

You find the CI results on the existing PR; they'll be displayed there.  You just need to make sure that a branch in the repo has the exact same commit ID when you push it as the PR has.  (Statuses are reported on commits, and triggered on pushes, so everything should just line up.)

As far as further reviews - on the existing PR too, same as usual.

You will need to run the script again when the contributor pushes their response to a review.  One feature that would be useful is to not need to specify the branch name twice, but if you name the second pr_as_branch invocation differently, it just means one more branch that should be deleted when looking at git branch --merged.

-glyph